These Candy Cane Cupcakes are super easy to make and really festive! Take these candy cane cupcakes to any holiday party and everyone will love them!
Candy Cane Cupcakes
I am so happy with how these candy cane cupcakes turned out! They are tasty, moist, and have the perfect peppermint flavor.
Can I use peppermint extract instead of crushed candy canes in the batter?
Yes. However, I prefer the taste of the candy canes to that of the peppermint extract. The extract can be a little overwhelming where as the candy canes give you pockets of peppermint flavor in the delicious cupcakes. If you want to use extract add 1-2 tsp instead of candy canes.
I tried piping in layers of red velvet batter and white batter to give the cupcakes a striped look but it didn’t work as well as I had hoped. I finally tried swirling the two and loved how they came out!
How to make Candy Cane Cupcakes:
- Mix up a batch of white cake batter and stir in half of the crushed candy canes
- Mix up a batch of red velvet cake batter and stir in the remain half of crushed candy canes
- Combine the two batters in each cupcake liner swirling them together gently
- Frost with my easy vanilla butter cream
- Decorate with crushed candy canes and mini candy canes!
I love adding the mini candy canes as decorations!
How to make a box cake taste homemade?
Easy! Simply add in some heavy cream, an extra egg and some extra vanilla extract!
How many cupcakes does a box make?
This recipe will make 48 cupcakes since you are combining two boxes of cake mix.
How do I store the cupcakes?
Any leftover cupcakes store in an airtight container in the fridge. I have a few really large tupperware containers that hold cupcakes nicely. That’s what I use.
Peppermint Cupcakes- the perfect Christmas Cupcake!
Candy Cane Cupcakes
- 1 batch of white cake mix link to recipe in instructions
- 1 batch red velvet cake mix
- 10-12 candy canes crushed
For the red velvet cake mix
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 batches of buttercream frosting linked in instructions below
- Mini Candy Canes for Decoration
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a cup cake pan with cupcake liners
- Mix up one batch of my white cake mix, add half of the crushed candy canes and gently mix in – set aside
- Mix up the red velvet cake mix by combining oil, vanilla, sour cream, heavy cream and eggs in a mixer. Add the box mixture and combine until just combined. * Then mix in the remaining crushed candy canes.
- Scoop 2 spoonfuls of red velvet batter into each cupcake liner. Then scoop 1-2 spoonfuls of white batter on top of the red velvet batter. Then using a knife or toothpick swirl the mixtures together. Be careful not to mix them together too thoroughly or else the white will completely incorporate.
- You can alternate with white batter as the base and the red velvet on top.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost with my easy butter cream frosting*. You can substitute ½ tsp peppermint extract for the vanilla in the recipe (per batch) for more peppermint flavor or crush up more candy canes and sprinkle them on top! I also love to stick a mini candy cane in the cupcake for a pretty presentation!
*Don’t over mix the cake batter *I used a 1M Tip to frost these. Keep in mind if you put crushed candy canes in the frosting you might have trouble getting them through your icing tip. *Also 2 batches should cover the number of cupcakes but honestly, I was making a ton of cupcakes at the time and didn’t keep track of how much this specific recipe used so you may even need three batches of frosting if you are going heavy on the decorating!