Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe, easy to make and perfect to cool down on a hot summer afternoon! Tasty bananas are the star in this Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe!
Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe
Remember when I shared my fun salted caramel banana ice cream a while ago? Well I thought it would be good to share the basic banana ice cream recipe from that with you guys!
I love ice cream! My favorite is Tillamook or Bluebell, followed by homemade! Since I always seem to have frozen bananas at home this ice cream is my quick go to ice cream when I’m all out of my store bought favorites!
Bananas are amazing! They are sweet enough to make into ice cream and it’s so cool that they become the consistency of ice cream just by blending them!
Plus, if you are sensitive to dairy- this is THE PERFECT substitute
How to make dairy free ice cream?
- Peel and freeze bananas- I like to break the bananas into thirds before I freeze them so they are easier to put in the food processor or blender.
- Place frozen banana pieces in a food processor.
- Process on high until the banana looks smooth and creamy. You will need to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Add in extracts, chocolate, peanut butter or anything you want!
What can I add to my banana ice cream?
- Mini Chocolate Chips (or regular sized!)- ½ cup or more!
- Any candy pieces
- Caramel Sauce- ½ cup or swirl it in like here
- Peanut Butter -start with 2 tablespoons, mix in, taste and add more if you want
- Nuts- chop them or make candied ones and put them in!
- Cocoa Powder- start with a tablespoon, mix, taste and add more if needed
- Fruit- fresh or frozen
- Jam- add ¼ cup either stirred in completely or swirl it like the caramel here
- Any Extracts- add a few drops, mix, taste, add more if needed
Why is my ice cream so soft? How do I make it more firm?
You might notice that once the bananas look creamy the consistency is actually more like soft serve/ frozen yogurt ice cream. Which tastes delicious, but if you want to get the nice ice cream scoops you will need place the entire mixture in a freezer safe container (like a baking dish or bread pan), cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and freeze until it is hard- at least 2 hrs.
I hope you enjoy this easy banana ice cream recipe as much as I do! Let me know how you like it in the comments below!
Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe
- 4 bananas peeled, chopped into chunks, and frozen
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Peppermint Extract
- Anything else you can think of!
Place frozen bananas in a high-powered blender or food processor (I love using my Breville food processor for this!) (4 frozen bananas)
Process until the banana chunks become creamy and look like ice cream. This will take several minutes and you will need to scrape down the sides of the blender several times.
The banana will look crumbly at first and will eventually turn into creamy ice cream deliciousness!
When the banana is just starting to look creamy add any extracts or add-ins like peanut butter and cocoa powder to in and continue to process.
Stir in the chocolate chip when the ice cream is complete or you can put them in the blender and mix them in using that, but if you do that they will break up into little pieces- just fyi.
Eat right away or for a firmer ice cream place in a freezer safe container and freeze until it is to the firmness desired. For ice cream like firmness freeze for 2 hrs, otherwise it will be more the consistency of soft serve.