These carnitas tacos are bursting with flavor and you won’t be able to stop eating them! They may take a little time but they are so worth it!
You guys know I love tacos and usually trip tip or steak tacos are my go to tacos, but these are quickly becoming a favorite around my home. I always feel like I make a ton of carnitas but we usually eat most of it (or all of it!) in one sitting! It is so delicious!
Pork carnitas are easy to make and delicious!
How to make carnitas:
- Cut up the pork and rub all side with salt.
- In a large stock pot heat oil and then brown all sides of the pork.
- Add in the spices, orange and broth, bring to a boil and the reduce heat to a simmer for ~1 hour or until the internal temperature of the pork reached 145°F.
- While pork is cooking whip up some easy red chile sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- When pork is done scoop out the meat and place on a baking sheet. Shred with a fork and then spoon on a good amount of leftover broth over the shredded pork.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, then spoon more leftover broth over the pork and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Fry up some taco shells, top with red chile sauce and enjoy!
These carnitas go perfectly with the red chile sauce.
You won’t have any carnitas tacos left!
If you like this taco recipe (and who wouldn’t!) check out my other taco recipes at the Taco Table! Other taco recipes include easy chicken tacos with salsa verde, tri tip tacos with cilantro lime sauce, and steak tacos with mango salsa!
These carnitas tacos are bursting with flavor and you won’t be able to stop eating them! Topped with a delicious red chile sauce and they are out of this world good!
- 2-3 lbs pork butt
- 2 tbs oil
- 2-4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 orange sliced into rounds
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 batch red chile sauce
- 12-15 corn tortillas
Trim the fat from the pork butt, and slice the whole thing into several large chunks (like 3-4) then rub the salt on all sides of the pork.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom stock pot, then add the pork. Brown all sides of the pork pieces. This will take 7-10 minutes. Make sure to keep flipping the pork to get a nice brown on the sides and to not burn them.
Once browned, add in all the spices, onion, orange slices, and beef broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 -1.5 hrs or until the pork is cooked all the way through. The pork needs to reach at least 145°F.
While pork is cooking on the stove make a batch of the best red chile sauce!
Once cooked, using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a baking sheet. You will also get some onions along with-it, which is great. Keep the water it was boiled in- you’ll need it soon! Preheat the oven to 350°F.
While oven is preheating, shred the pork. I find using two forks the easiest method to do this.
After everything is shredded, spoon a good amount of the reserved seasoned water over the meat and bake the meat for 10 minutes. Then spoon more seasoned water over the pork and bake for another 10 minutes.
Fry up some taco shells, make top with some awesome red chile sauce, and enjoy!